Recent SOTA Activations

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Richard's Peak (W7M/LO-108) SOTA 7.2.2022

Richard's Peak Action W7M/LO-108

On 7/2/2022 we were camping on Middle Thompson lake and I decided to take an early morning trip down the Thompson River to try and activate Richard's Peak. The Thompson River is one of my favorite places to go and I had been down this road many times. In previous attempts the gate on the Richard's Peak road had always been closed or locked, today it was open. 

You can drive most any vehicle most of the way to the summit if the gate is unlocked. I believe that It is just short of a mile from the gate to the summit with room for a few vehicles at the gate without blocking it. 

On the summit you will find a nice lookout tower that I believe is still in use during the summer months. There was no one there the day that I was there. I say on the deck of the lookout and used my Elecraft KX2. 

I had plenty of cell signal at the summit to make calls, text, or spot. There were also places on the way up the road that I had signal. I usually do not rely on cell signal on the Thompson river but it seemed to work decent in this area. 

Not many pictures today. This was taken on my walk off of the summit as a second thought.

I saw two Cow elk on the way off the summit and plenty of sign that they were around. I had a good conversation with a gentlemen that was using a e-bike and found that to be quite interesting. I have since bought an e-bike and it helps my wife to be able to go on longer bike rides with me. I get the added bonus to use it on the long gated roads to summits. 


Richard's Peak Lookout Information: 



No comments:

Post a Comment