Recent SOTA Activations

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Blue Mountain (W7M/LM-121) SOTA Activation

This was the 2nd of 3 activations during my Montana trip. On this one I took my Niece and Nephew with me and picked an easy summit to head up on.

Driving Directions: I went out west of Missoula on 3rd Street to North and across the bridge connecting with Blue Mountain Road and followed this all the way up to the locked gate.

We all Hiked up Blue Mountain (W7M/LM-121) on 8/3/2013.

I used my FT857d with MP1 SuperAntenna on 30w again.

This is another summit that I was keeping a close eye on the weather and hoping to not get wet. In the end we only got a few minutes with some hail and we were able to shield most of it under the tower.

Here is a picture of the kids and the Dog Charlie on the way up.


The kids at the top of the hill. The fire tower was not manned while we were there. I was surprised with all of the fire danger and lightening. Every other time I have been up here in the late summer the tower was manned.


Here are some Thimble Berry's that I could not keep the kids out of. Without the Berrys the trip would have been a lot quicker. There was also a lot of Huckleberrys up there but I failed to get a picture.


Here is the log from the trip:

TimeCallBandModeNotes
20:36zAE4FZ14MHzSSB
20:37zN6KZ14MHzSSB
20:38zW7RV14MHzSSB
20:38zW0MNA14MHzSSB
20:38zN4EX14MHzSSB
20:39zK6CEL14MHzSSB
20:39zN6JZT14MHzSSB
20:39zW0ERI14MHzSSB
20:40zK1JD14MHzSSB
20:41zWA7JTM14MHzSSB
20:45zNS7P7MHzSSB
20:49zN0PCL 14MHzSSB

At the end of the day this was a great activations and a chance to spend some time with my niece and nephew. They had a great time even if it was picking some Berry's. Peyton and Lily (my kids) had a great time calling CQ and each got a couple contacts. They were excited for the next days trip where I promised them that they could do some more talking on the radio.

For all of the pictures and the track check out my Everytrail link:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2248342


No comments:

Post a Comment