Recent SOTA Activations

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pt. 2678 (W6/NC-174) SOTA Activation



On 22 September 2013 Peyton and I headed out for Henry Coe park to tackle another un-activated summit and do some Geo-Cacheing along the way. We woke up at 0500 and were out of the house by 0515. Consequently we were on the trail by 0630. Peyton made sure and let me know that he was cold when we started hiking. I assured him that it was about to warm up soon and he would be glad that he did not bring a sweat shirt, and he was. The trip yielded 8 found geo-caches one of which we were not even looking for. I did find out that there are premium caches that are only available to paid subscribers, $9.99 a month, and Peyton spotted one of them. I would say that he is good at paying attention to his surroundings! I was able to get my Home made 20m end fed up on the air and it sounded pretty good. Definitely happy with this.

Route: This is from Mountain View, CA. When you turn onto Gilroy Hot springs road go all the way until the end. There is a gate at the far side of the bridge that says "No Trespassing." There is a small turnout right before the bridge that has enough parking for half a dozen or so cars. 


Cell Signal: Yes (Verizon), I was not able to spot though as I forgot to turn the data on for my phone. I would rely on sending a text to spot rather then getting digital signal to make a call or log on to SOTA Goat.

Interference: None. Real Quite with no interference.

Distance: About 8 Miles round trip.

Trail Condition: Easy to follow path but does get pretty steep at times. The trails are also marked well with these poles at every trail intersection. Very easy to follow.




Setup: FT857d, EndFed20 on 20m and anMP1 SuperAntenna, 6 Counter poises at 1/4 wavelength, 12 ft telescoping whip on 40m, 7.5 A/H SLAB.

Contacts:

One of the Geo Caches that we found was attached to this bone.


A Couple views from the summit



A little History


A cool rock formation that we came across


A cool little tree


Thanks to all the chasers. I hope that everyone enjoys the Blog.

73,
Matt
KF7PXT

No comments:

Post a Comment